Sunday, September 28, 2008

Disloyalty

I've noticed that the past couple movies I've seen have had the same problem in them: A husband cheating on his wife. And appropriately she always forgives him at the end. I'm not hating on the whole 'forgiving someone for a mistake' but I always think about what would have happened had it been the other way around.. if the wife had cheated on the husband. I doubt that he would meet her in the middle of the brooklyn bridge or decide that they should go to marriage counseling to resolve the issue. I'm pretty sure they would call her the befitting names.. (Bitch, Whore, Slut, etc.) and replace her within the month. For some reason it's more acceptable to society that men make mistakes while women are more virtuous. As if it were more difficult for a women to have an affair (pfft.. please). I am semi-offended at these movies because it makes me feel like they're trying to sell to the masses the 1950's notion that if your husband cheats on you that you should forgive him because its 'just what men do'. And I strongly disagree. It is just as difficult, if not moreso, for a woman to stay comitted to one man then it is for Joe Shmo to convince some girl to 'let him in' after, of course, taking her to dinner and perhaps buying her a couple choice presents. Her choice, that is. I just dont believe that people can 'mistakedly' cheat on someone.. what happens? You fall down naked on top of someone and everytime you try and get up you slip and fall again?.. gimme a break. If you made the vows then you said to god and all your family that you were going to comit to this one person.. own up to your end of the bargain. Period. *cheers*

No comments: