Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's always High School

Today I was watching a movie and was intrigued by a line shouted at the top of her lungs by one of the main characters while in the middle of a heated argument with her husband: "It's always High School!!". The context isn't as relevant as the statement itself in my opinion. Is it always High School?? In certain scenarios its easy to make the comparison; At work for example. There is always the 'super tight' group who hangs out outside work and are always involved in inside jokes and other privileged activities (The Popular Group), the busy workers who keep to themselves, mostly not by choice, but know all the answers (The Geeks), the elderly lady who always tries to help the other co-workers out (Counselor), and of course the owner or president of the company who no one wants to mess up in front of (The Principle). But what about in life outside the office? Do the same parameters apply in our home and social lives as well? Sure in our usual group of friends there are different unassigned roles for everyone (the hyper one, the pessimist, the creative one, etc.) but I hardly associate that to High School. And true, there are people out there who even well into their late twenties act like they're in that state of mind but to me that is a maturity issue. I suppose what the comment got me thinking about was how far the events in 'High School' stretched into our adult life and how long we hold onto these adolescent ways of thinking. I left High School behind the day of graduation.. not that I abided by the whole teen politic thing while I was attending school anyway. But for other people I suppose its hard to break away from the whole thing. In the movie the couple was well into their thirties and were arguing about a hole in their marriage that needed to be filled.. though it's not specified at that point with what. I wonder if real married couples refer to High School in the middle of arguments or if this is some kind of exaggerated movie thing. I would hate to be married to someone who was still acting like an 18 year old idiot when they're 35. I have to admit that when I run into ex peers of mine and they gossip to me like they did when we saw each other at our lockers in between Math and English Class in tenth grade I pity them. I instinctively assume that they've not moved on since then and must therefore have not had a fulfilling past ten years... all within five minutes. Maybe I'm just overly judgmental within those ever so important first five minutes of a conversation. I mean, if you haven't seen someone in ten years then you surely should have tons to catch up on, right? Either way if I haven't seen you in ten years.. I probably didn't mean to. To get back on the subject here I would have to close my thoughts by saying that while 'High School' does not follow us the rest of our lives some of the baggage can cause us to be more cynical, untrusting, and perhaps a little judgmental. But on the other side of the coin some of our past experiences can make us more confident, loyal, and unafraid. It really depends on the type of person you are and what kind of person you want to be.. if you brush the bad stuff off and use the good stuff to your benefit then you're gonna be just fine but if you just hold onto that bad stuff and let it fester inside then you're eventually going to explode all over the place. Granted it's easier to hold on then to brush stuff off but do you really want to be that person on the other end of the conversation who is EXACTLY the same as they were ten years ago?? I don't think so. *cheers*

No comments: