Friday, February 27, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Find Out What It Means To Me

Ok, so I was thinking about how many times my parents have asked me to 'respect them' in my life and what I always thought when they uttered this: " I do". Then I started thinking about how many times I've seen kids straight out insulting their parents in public and always thought 'man, if that were my kid I'd smack the crap out of them'. This is, of course, a child that I'm refering to.

So, I dug a little deeper. I began thinking about the way that children have changed in more recent times in comparison to previous generations. My parents both have told me about 'the look' that would make them basically wet themselves when they were younger, presumably the same look that indicated to them that there was a beating in their near future. I, along with my two siblings, was rarely ever hit for misbehaving.. we were punished, frequently.

I have been known to get myself in trouble a few times because of my mouth, I've always 'talked back' and had this uncanny ability to press my parents buttons with one word. Call it what you will... I say its brilliance! Anyway.. on the rare occasion that I would be pushed to act immaturely in public or when I stood up and straight out refused to do something (always with reason, mind you, I was generally a good kid) I remember hearing the phrase 'You have to respect me'. And it always boggled me.. why did they choose that time to say it?? Because I'm not doing something they are perfectly capable of doing but want me to do?? What gives???

So.. here it is, my dissection of the word respect. I think that 'the look' that my parents referred to when they were younger was not respect.. it was fear, fear of getting their asses beaten. I've heard allot of stories (mainly from my father) and the things that he did are not things that someone who 'respects' would do. Of course, it's all written off as young mischievous acts, and I don't really care either way, but respect? Not in my opinion. Then I started thinking about the times that I choose to say things to burn my parents at times, and although I can't say I'm proud of it, I think I figured out why it happened. It's because respect is a two way street, in order to be respected by someone.. you have to show them some respect. I also don't feel like you show your respect by 'not answering back' or 'ignoring someone'... you show it my attempting to make them proud of you and being there when things get rough. After all... when there is true respect between people you should be able to say anything to them. Also, respect is earned, not forced upon people because of circumstance. So.. reguadlress of the relationship I feel like you need to make an effort. *cheers*

1 comment:

Kenny said...

True. What sparked this?