Monday, February 16, 2009

The Ghost Of Vaneltine's Day Past

This weekend was certainly busy, it seems like we had people over all weekend.. oh wait, we did.

It began with a party on Friday night, a celebration for the reuniting of a great band that we all were fans of. It was great. A really old friend joined us, Jake, who I hadn't seen in years. Catching up was really nice, our lives are actually really similar at the moment. A good number of people showed up, not too many, and not too few, just enough heads to keep everyone entertained but not enough to leave my house looking like a tornado passed through it when everyone was gone. I also met two friends of my sisters.. well, met is a strong word, I had met them before but we hadn't really ever spoken till this night. They were both pretty down to earth people who were generally a pleasure to converse with. All in all friday's festivities were so good that we decided that all the singles should come back on Saturday (the 14th) so we can do like a little Valentine's Day Getty.

This is where I should have listened to my inner gut.. from the time I got up I questioned whether trying to have two great nights would be too much of a feat. I seriously thought it would be like tossing dice into the air and expecting it to land on the same number twice.. impossible. But, I carried on as planned, and the time rolled around for people to arrive. Arrive they did.. it started out well enough... a chill evening of card playing, music, drinks.. nothing too crazy. Then it happened... dumb drama that turned the whole night sour, and fast. At first, everyone that wasn't involved (including myself) tried to calm the situation but it was like a snowball that kept getting bigger and more annoying as the situation progressed. Eventually destroying all hopes of the evening returning to its former pleasent self.

So everyone left, and I was left cleaning up all kinds of messes.. from beer bottles, to peoples feelings.

I would love to say that it was a learning experience for me, but that would be a lie. It was actually really predictable.. as a matter of fact, I called it the night before. It's all water under the bridge now, and I've made contact with the people who may have felt uncomfortable to smooth things over, so I feel fine with everything. But if I have to offer one piece of advice it is this... send countless shots over to someone when they are causing drama in a party... at best, they will just pass out and everyone can carry on, and at worst they will get so hammered that they will forget what it is they were getting crazy about in the first place. *Cheers*

4 comments:

Kenny said...

Seriously though,days have since passed,since the almost comical incident mentioned,and the more that they do the less I actually remember about it happening Saturday night. Drama isn't usually a welcomed friend but indeed it does crash into us a lot. As I've said before, in person, it is what it is, and nothing short of, a moment that will pass.

Maria Valcarce said...

Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.

V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Shocker said...

[stands here, holding the shocker in the air]

you write really well!

...cheers...