Monday, September 12, 2011

Boys Dont Cry

I realize that I'm about 12 years late but I watched this movie for the first time last night. I went to bed feeling horrible. Its not very often that a movie leaves me with residual feelings for longer then about 10 minutes later but even at 2 a.m. this morning I still had trouble falling asleep.
How could there be people with such darkness inside in the world? I watched the documentary after finishing the film I could see the real people (minus Brandon). And the killers were even more terrifying in person then their actor selves in the movie.

That poor girl. Raped, then killed. Even the thought of being raped deeply effects me but listening to her recount the horroible event truly left a gaping feeling in the pit of my gut. It was just so sad.

Then the way she died was just barbaric.

I remember feeling angry when watching the documentary that the police didnt lock up the two men after Brandon identified them clearly in her questioning. I'd like to think that if they had to do it all over again they'd take a different plan of action.

Its just a sad story all around and I cant believe that someone would have to be subject to the cruel treatments simply because they are being themselves.

I also remember the social worker who was vaguely justifying the actions of one of the killers.. she said that he is a product of how society has failed him. I disagree. There are probably millions of people who grow up in horrible conditions. And none of them have even a thought of violently raping someone, let alone killing another person. But thats just my opinion.

I knoow its been over a decade since this movie came out and I hope this horrible story brought some awareness.

What Hillary Swank said in her accceptance speech at the academy awards was spot on: We need to learn to accept our differences.

No comments: